Thursday, June 24, 2010

goin' swimmin'

Today, Casey went to Sauri, the Millennium Village where he will be doing his work this summer. Claire and I are going to go swimming with Lynn at the Kiboko Bay Resort--so exciting! Kiboko is Kiswhahili for hippopotamus, and near the resort is Hippo Point, where you can take a boat 15 minutes out to see pods?/families? of hippos. I've made a list of things we want to do while in Kisumu, and that is definitely on it. There is also an impala sanctuary right across the street that is on the list as well. I think Claire will enjoy seeing the animals.

Claire is currently enthralled by an empty toilet tissue roll; I don't know why we even buy her toys! Yesterday, we got her a baby keyboard that plays kid songs, but I think Lynn and Janet are more into it than Claire, though she does like to dance to the songs.

The other day, Casey, Claire and I went to a restaurant in town called Green Gardens, where we met a Kisumu local from the Sikh community who invited us to be his guests at the Simba Club on Friday night. I think Kanako and Yoshi will come with us--it's sure to be a fun time!

It's pretty cool to be in Africa while the World Cup is going on--and USA won last night! I think Casey will feel conflicted, as USA and Ghana are up against each other on the 26th. We will have to find a big screen to watch the game on :)

Yesterday, Lynn and I had a ladies day and got pedicures. They were 500 shillings, which is about $6. Evidently, a full body massage can be had for 1000 shillings for one hour!! We will definitely be making that happen soon.

Time to feed Claire again...I really wish she would eat some food, but she is really not very interested. Let's hope that changes soon, as mtoto (baby) is wearing this mama out!

No comments:

Post a Comment